International SOS Medical Evacuation
International Medical Evacuation - Patients With COVID-19
● International SOS is highly experienced in evacuating patients with infectious disease, having safely transported numerous infectious patients around the world.
● International SOS has provided aeromedical transportation for confirmed COVID-19 infected patients by air ambulance.
● As such, International SOS has the medical and technical capability to undertake international evacuation of patients with COVID-19 infection, however our experience in such circumstances is that the feasibility of doing so is dependent on the authorization of Governmental, Health and Aviation Authorities. Therefore there may be a significant lead-time to confirm the feasibility of such evacuations as these variables are beyond the control of International SOS.
International SOS is in close contact with local Health authorities, the World Health Organization (WHO), Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC), and relevant Civil Aviation Authorities with respect to ongoing developments.
International Medical Evacuation – Patients with other conditions
● International SOS is highly experienced in evacuating patients with various medical conditions, and undertakes such movements on a daily basis.
● International SOS has the medical and technical capability to undertake international evacuation of patients, including from areas where COVID-19 infection has been seen (subject to airport operating status). However, movement of persons who have a history of travel in mainland China, or other affected areas may restrict the potential destinations for evacuation, and/or may impose additional requirements from the health authorities of the country to which the patient is being evacuated.
International SOS is in close contact with local Health authorities, relevant Civil Aviation Authorities, and our network of air ambulance operators with respect to ongoing developments.
Passenger Charter Evacuation
● International SOS is experienced in arranging passenger charter flights globally, including from China, and has undertaken such charters since the outbreak of COVID-19.
● International SOS has the technical and logistical capacity to arrange the movement of large numbers of passengers internationally on charter flights; however our experience in such circumstances is that the feasibility of doing so is dependent on the authorization of Governmental, Health and Aviation Authorities.
● Therefore there may be a significant lead-time to confirm the feasibility of such evacuations as these variables are beyond the control of International SOS.
International SOS is in close contact with relevant aviation operators and civil aviation authorities with respect to ongoing developments.
Repatriation of Mortal Remains for Deceased COVID-19 Patients
● International SOS is experienced in managing patients who have passed away due to an infectious disease and has significant insight in the requirements and logistic challenges in conducting repatriation of mortal remains and cremations.
● The current COVID-19 outbreak has posed additional challenges to the repatriation of mortal remains and cremation. Approvals for local cremation or burial, as well as repatriation of mortal remains will be required from local and central health authorities, as well as the designated receiving location, in addition to the willingness of commercial or charter air operators to carry these remains.
● There may be a significant lead-time to arrange repatriation of mortal remains, or cremation of COVID-19 patients due to the variables, and complexity of the issues involved. The changing nature of the epidemiology of COVID-19 in addition to the aforementioned variables are beyond the control of International SOS.
International SOS is in close contact with local and central authorities our preferred service providers and international health organisations with respect of monitoring the developing situation.
Notes to Editors
About the International SOS Group of Companies
The International SOS Group of Companies is in the business of saving lives, protecting your global workforce from health and security threats. Wherever you are, we deliver customised health, security risk management and wellbeing solutions to fuel your growth and productivity. In the event of extreme weather, an epidemic or a security incident, we provide an immediate response providing peace of mind. Our innovative technology and medical and security expertise focus on prevention, offering real-time, actionable insights and on-the-ground quality delivery. We help you meet compliance reporting needs for good governance. By partnering with us, organisations can fulfil their Duty of Care responsibilities, while empowering business resilience, continuity and sustainability.
Founded in 1985, the International SOS Group is trusted by 12,000 organisations, including over half of the Fortune Global 500, multi-national corporate clients and mid-size enterprises, governments, educational institutions and NGOs. 10,000 multi-cultural medical, security and logistics experts stand with you to provide support & assistance from over 1,000 locations in 85 countries, 24/7, 365 days.
To protect your workforce, we are at your fingertips: www.internationalsos.com.